There is just something to be said about being able to understand the sermon that is being preached on Sunday mornings. On occasions, we are now able to understand what our preacher is saying. However, today was not one of those days.
So there we were, sitting in church trying desperately to understand what was being said. We knew that The Lord's Supper was going to be part of the service (but mostly because we could see the table of bread and wine up front). Near the end of the service, still trying to catch any word we might be familiar with, we heard something we knew! It was the pastor was calling Jason's name and motioning for us to come up front.
We slowly made our way to the front of the church where the pastor asked us to stand on either side of him. He then proceeded to announce to the church who we were and why we are here and that we do not understand the language very well. That's always nice...we understand enough to know when someone says we don't understand their language.
Usually, during The Lord's Supper at our church, there is a large metal wine glass that the pastor and occasionally one or two others drink from. The rest of the congregation is served wine in tiny plastic cups. Turns out, we were the "two others" this Sunday. Talk about awkward. First, he handed the wine glass to me.
Now, I feel the need to explain that the shape of this large wine glass prevents you from just pretending to take a sip without receiving a wine mustache. And nobody likes a wine mustache, am I right? So, after what seemed like an hour of me slowly tipping the glass more and more, trying to get only a small sip of the wine, I was successful. I handed the cup back to the pastor, who then looked in the cup (I can only assume to see how much I drank, lol), and then handed it off to Jason. Jason followed in suit, trying desperately to only take a small sip. Success! Then the pastor looked into the cup before drinking out of it himself. He laughed a little and shrugged and then took his drink.
Then we took around the bread and the already prepared tiny cups of wine to the rest of the congregation. Even though we did not understand most of what was said this Sunday, there is an unspoken language between believers that connects us to the sweet people in this church. Praise God for the fellowship of believers in this dry land.
The last few days
13 years ago

LOL...lovin' it! oh...and the picture of me below, yeah, I know where you live!
ReplyDelete